Justin has over 28 years’ legal and regulatory experience in commodities trading, origination and financing, wholesale banking, bank regulation, energy project development, financial derivatives and corporate transactions.
Justin has held senior in-house legal and regulatory risk positions, and has been a partner of an international law firm. Most recently, he was the Global Co-Head (Legal) of Financial Markets, and the Head of Global Regulatory Reform, both at Standard Chartered Bank.
Justin is the Vice-Chairman of the Riding for the Disabled Singapore, a registered charity which provides equine assisted therapy to children and adults with physical and mental disabilities.
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Lehman Brothers
- Holman Fenwick Willan
- Hartree Partners
- Advised a private E&P company on the re-negotiation of oil & gas production sharing rights in South East Asia.
- Advised a private corporate on the purchase of mining assets in South America.
- Advised a listed corporate on various international oil & gas exploration, appraisal, development and production projects.
- Advised a trading company on various international energy development projects.
- Advised a trading company on the re-negotiation and re-financing of offshore natural gas transportation and processing agreements.
- Advised a trading house on various long-term sales of offshore gas production to power plants.
- Advised a trading house in various commodity financing structures.
- Advised a trading house regarding its commodity trading, origination and financing businesses in the UK, Scandinavia, Europe and Asia covering oil/products, gas, LNG, power, weather, metals, coal, freight, iron ore, emissions and agricultural products.
- Advised a trading house on the establishment and operation of an internet-based global system that traded up to US$6 billion of commodities on a daily basis.
- Advised a State-owned oil & gas enterprise on the establishment of its international oil/products hedging and risk management program.
- Advised a trading house on various structured oil/gas/metals transactions with producers, refiners and off takers.
- Advised a bank on its global commodities’ legal and regulatory due diligence program across 60 jurisdictions.
- Advised a bank on, and led the commercial negotiations surrounding, its equity and debt participation in a 1,000MW power project development project.
- Advised a bank on various structured cross-asset derivatives transactions (for risk management, trading or investment purposes) with banking and corporate clients.
- Advised a bank on its dispute resolution strategy relating to various billion dollar derivatives & structured product portfolio claims.
- Established and led a bank’s risk group to approve and monitor structured transactions by its wholesale banking division involving material credit, accounting, legal and regulatory risk.
- Advised a bank’s audit and senior management committees on the impact of material US and EU financial regulatory reform developments affecting all its wholesale businesses.
- Advised a corporate finance house on a structured finance offering for vessel owners.
- Advised a commercial enterprise on the establishment of a new ship building business.
- Advised a shipping company on raising finance in the capital markets in Asia.
- Advised a commercial enterprise in establishing a new alternative finance business in South East Asia.
Professional Admissions and Qualifications
- England & Wales – Solicitor
- Singapore – Registered Foreign Lawyer